Monday, November 7, 2016

Week Twelve (in class): Bloodchild

1. Bloodchild was a very compelling story that revealed the content of its world slowly but surely. My first reaction had been mild disgust, but I was also driven by my curiosity to keep reading. The concept of an enslaved race, forced to become hosts to essentially parasitic grubs is nauseating, to say the least. I couldn't help but feel pity for the Terrans, seemingly subjugated by a superior species on their planet. Gan's decision at the end, though consensual and necessary for their society, seemed bittersweet. Some of the Terrans obviously do not enjoy the current status quo that they must endure, and Gan had also shown animosity towards T'Gatoi for her intentions, but the Terrans are weak politically and physically, and cannot retaliate. Thus, Gan's final decision was more one of submission, an action I couldn't help but feel sorry for.

2. Gan's encounter with Lomas's birthgiving reminded me of the childbirth segment of my high school health class. Stuffed in a dark room with a group of sweaty teenagers and shown several videos of women giving birth produced about the same nauseating effect on me as reading about Gan's experiences. Of course, parasitic grubs sounds much, much worse than a c-section. However, facing the painful reality of childbirth and the fact that I might have to undergo it one day, I could relate to Gan's feelings about Lomas and his own impending fate.

3. If I could adapt this story into an audio podcast, possibly taking on the form of an audio diary of Gan's, or just his narration of his thoughts and experiences. In this format, it would make more sense to drag out the events of the story to span out over the course of several days, rather than one afternoon. The details of the Tlic and the Terrans could be revealed slowly through Gan's experiences with the eggs and his monologues about the world he lives in, before finally leading up to his encounter with Lomas and his decision to be a host.

No comments:

Post a Comment